Monday, April 07, 2008

It was time for a White Wedding...

This past weekend Jon & Amy Gerst came for their Mexican reception here in Magdalena. It was a joyful time, and I am so thankful that the kids were able to participate in some of the "wedding" excitement (Diego and Poncho must have asked me at least ten times the week prior to their coming why it was that Amy needed to get married... somehow the fact that she was already married just didn't manage to sink in... lol). Above, Amy and Jon pose with all the girls and the "wedding cake." The girls all got to dress up, sit at the head table, and decorate the cake and the dining room for the reception. They did an awesome job...


Jon & Amy's plane ended up getting in relatively late to Tucson, so we viejitas decided that waiting up was not really an option. Instead... we made a sign. Obviously CVE staff have something about decorating with spray paint and extra sheets... ;)
At top, Jenna decorates... in the bottom pic, Jenna gets decorated by the mud on the way back from draping the sheet down at the dorms. It was a very, very graceful descent into that mud, though... lol.
At the reception: The girls, Amy, and Jon at the head table.

At left, Carissa and Gloria pause for a minute during decorating time to take a photo. At right, Uriel looked quite suave in his polo and tie... the gorilla that whistles was just an extra special touch... ;)

Top, Jenean and her father, Tom, sit in the kitchen during the reception. The Schambachs have been visiting this past week (doing amazing work in the field with Jenean and in the kitchen... thanks for the rolls, Connie!). Bottom, some CVE staffers wait for their turn to pass through the reception's food line: (l-r) Juan-ton (is this how we're spelling it?), Seth, Bere, and Gloria.


The tulle and streamers that were used for the reception were then utilized over and over again by the kids... we had wedding all day long. Oh yes, indeed, dear friends. Top left, Poncho told me he was "flying." Top right, Candi is... well, adorable. Bottom left, Ezequiel stands to military attention. And bottom right, Diego let me wrap him like a present.
Amy and Jon walked down the dirt path next to the fields to get back for the "second reception," which was just for the CVE family. Here, Jon helps her with her heels, which - for some odd reason - were slightly difficult with the rocky terrain... ;)
The girls were all lined up on the cancha, waiting for Amy and Jon to get back. They are amazingly beautiful...
At the end of the "second reception," Jon and Amy sang "Con que Pagaremos" together. It was a nice touch to end the wedding festivities... :)

Mom, this pic is for you... I hadn't posted one yet of my roommate, Bere... sheesh, what a jerk I am... ;)

Bere is going to be helping out with Jenna's kids these next few weeks while Jenna is in Indiana (for which I might possibly forever be indebted to her... lol), and I know we've all been grateful for her work in the schoolroom and with Blanca and Michel... she is amazingly, amazingly patient... ;)

6 comments:

Chelsie said...

Is the pic of Diego kinda like the time I "let" you cut a huge chunk out of my hair??? ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the pics stef. great times had by all...

Kristen said...

Thanks for posting these Steph. I know Jon and Amy had a great weekend with you all! She played me the little video clip she had of Candi on her camera. You're doing a great job teaching her how to talk. ;)

Kristen

Anonymous said...

Chelsie, I'm pretty sure that that "chunk" was the height of fashion, and it looked amazing... ;)
And Kristen, you should here ALL her vocabulary words... lol

Anonymous said...

I thought it went "It's a nice day for a, White wedding".

Anonymous said...

Dad, I knew you would pick up on it... yet another reason why I love you... ;)